Sunday, January 23, 2011

Today, In Potty Training

The other day, Jack sat on the potty before nap, and then I put a diaper on him and pulled up his pants. I am trying to keep him in pants that are easy-on/easy-off on the off chance he decides to try to go on his own. We had gone through a few pairs, so the ones he had on were too big and had to be rolled at the waist.

He immediately commenced pre-nap procrastination/fit-throwing.

"Eeeeeh. My PANTS. They aren't UP!"

"Yes they are, honey. Here, I'll straighten them."

"THEY AREN'T UP."

"It probably just feels funny to wear a diaper after having underwear on all day."

"NO!!!! MY PANTS aren't UP. I can't WALK."

"Yes, you can, come on downstairs."

And so on, for the five minutes it took him to walk down to his bedroom. He even stopped once to lean way over to try to figure out what the problem was and almost toppled down the stairs. I grabbed him by the shirt and carried him the rest of the way.

I almost lost my temper, but I am reading a book about happiness and I had a vague memory of some piece of advice and I thought, why lose your temper? So I took a deep breath and said, "OK, maybe I got your diaper on crooked, let me take a look."

And what did I see? Diaper was fine, pants were fine, but I hadn't taken off his underwear and they were around his knees.

I burst into hysterical laughter, and fortunately, he did too.

After nap he said, "Remember before nap, how we were giggling? That was funny."

1 comment:

Family of Weebles said...

I read these on my phone and forget that I never commented.

Book material.