Monday, July 21, 2008

Meta MetaMegan (Comment Winner Announced!)


My mom has recommended the book Marley and Me but I have refused to read it. It sounds like it might be too sentimental for me, and also, if anyone was going to write about Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog - God knows it should have been me.

Fast forward to 2008, and once I started this blog I decided I would write a book. Specifically I said, "Once I have been blogging for a year, I am going to write a book." I told Dave it would be somewhat remotely related to my blog and he said, "Why would anyone buy your book, when they can read your blog for free?" Good question. Maybe some people don't have laptops, and might want to read my bon mots before falling asleep, or on the beach? Ok, probably not.

I started thinking about my book some more while reading a recent issue of ReadyMade about self-publishing. But, what to write? Can I make a whole book out of incidents like running into the baby's room at 5 am to silently shove a pacifier in his mouth in order to get another hour of sleep, and instead banging an already injured knee on a rocking chair, screaming in pain, falling to the ground to hide from baby and writhe around until the throbbing subsides, and thinking, hey, I'll see if I can find the pacifier while I'm down here?

And then inspiration came. Marley. And. Me. I could write a collection of essays about my babies and my dog! Are you kidding me?! Babies and Dogs! Seriously, I dare you to think of a better combination! And I could write a bunch of essays about things from the past, and intersperse the 2 or 3 hilarious blog posts that I have already written. AND I had the best idea for the commenter prize! Since I plan to self-publish my book on lulu.com, I could give away a gift certificate to lulu.com as a prize. Then the winner could hold onto it for a couple years until my book is ready, or buy something now. Sadly, lulu.com does not actually sell gift certificates.

Since the Boulder Bookstore gift certificate idea was sort a lame prize for anyone other than Dave and Carolyn, I decided to pick a winner and then get them a gift certificate to an independent bookstore in their town. So, I put the comments on pieces of paper and had Luke pick one out of a hat. Wouldn't you know the one winner that I can't identify won the prize!

Anonymous said...
Megan -
We're starting to doubt the Megan Mary Mary story. Ann? Marie? Rita? Alicia?
We've enjoyed the blog thus far.

Who could it be? So we picked a backup winner, which is Jane Ellen Jane. Then Luke kept picking names because he really wanted his dad to win. Ellie, you came in third, and Dave was fourth. So if we can figure out who anonymous is soon, they can win. Otherwise, the prize goes to Jane Ellen Jane.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer, I was so close! (Or maybe I should have come forward as the anonymous poster? But then how would I explain who Ann, Marie, Rita or Alicia were? And how would I know them?)

Ellie

The DINKs said...

now an Anne, a Marie, and an Alicia, but alas no Rita. Wait! That was my invisible friend when I was a kid. Really! sort of....

The DINKs said...

That should have read "I know an". My fingers work too fast for my computer to keep up sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Beware Anonymous Wannabees -

As the true anonymous poster, let me say that I've won many major awards during a long lifetime. It is only fitting then that I decline in favor of Jane Ellen Jane. J-E-J is just starting out on her own, and could, I'm sure use the certificate well. So Jane Ellen Jane, it's yours.
I cannot reveal myself in this blog, but to prove my bona fides, Megan, your grandmother's confirmation name was Prudentia.

Anonymous said...

Kinda have an idea who anonymous is. Either way, what was the actual comment that Jane Ellen Jane left? Also, maybe your reader(s) would benefit from an explanation as to how Jane Ellen Jane received such a name.

-John Curtis Hanley Ramirez Hanley

Meta Megan said...

Good point! The winning comment:

Megan this is your cousin Jane! I just subscribed to your blog. I was just reading the most recent blog post about the 19th of July and your family never letting you live it down. It made me think of my Confirmation and instead of picking a Confirmation name of some sort, I just decided to keep my own name (because they told me you could do that and supposedly it was quite common). Anyways, I will now be known as "Jane Ellen Jane" for the rest of mine and your family's life, mostly due to your father and my uncle, Jack Hanley. Just thought I would share!!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps JCH should read Jane Ellen Jane's comment to determine how she became Jane Ellen Jane.... Duh

Meta Megan said...

Be nice! Or no more anonymous comments!

Family of Weebles said...

Hmmm, Anonymous sounds so much like Uncle Jack to me... And why did I not know that John's middle name is my son's name?

Anonymous said...

If i posted like "anonymous" I would keep that title as well. If you read my posting, I suggested to Megan that there would be some on here who did not understand the Jane Ellen Jane Myers reference. I also added one of my many incarnations of my confirmation name. Others include John Curtis Scott Hamilton Hanley, like my cousin Kathleen Elizabeth Mary Lou Retton Myers.

Bill and Cindy, your son also has the same name as 50 cent.

Laura M said...

Yes, our generation needs an Erma Bombeck. Write your book!